Monday, March 5, 2012

Bombing the battery

No I am not talking about dropping an A bomb on my batteries but I am talking about charging batteries. I have been a big believer in regulators and have used them constantly for years but I do have doubts.  I noticed on several occasions that by using a regulator the charging of a battery was significantly slowed or stopped all together for whatever reason. What I did is what I have done many times, I went from my panels straight into the batteries and let the panel do their work. 150 watts at about 5 amps and walla did not take long to get my batteries to a full charge and ready to be used. I know all you purist will say that it will hurt the battery in the long run and yo are probably right but when you need the power you need the power and it sure charges as fast or almost as fast as a battery charger on the middle amp range.  Bottom line is I will do it but remember and this is important, do not leave them unattended for a long stretch maybe just a few hours then disconnect or you might just blow the battery :(

In a separate and unrelated area, we had bunches of wind of the weekend and my little 10 watt wind generator was busting out amps as I like to say. I charged 4 AA batteries in a short amount of time to the tip top! Those little wind guys really work and work well. You can see them in my shopping cart.

OK enough for now, talk later

Solar Joe

No comments: