Friday, December 4, 2009

Batteries do not like the cold!

One thing I am learning is that batteries do not like the cold. I have two 35 amp hour gel cells outside feeding power to my inverter. I can tell you that when it was 55 or 60 out noooo problem but as it dropped into the teens well that seems to be a different story. Also my lights also take a bit longer to come to full strength. The white ones came up much faster than the yellow ones. I am using Florressants. I may switch money permitting to LED 120 V but they are expensive! I am using a 100 watt Tripp Light inverter and I am driving 5 lights. This weekend I will also add 12 volt lighting.

More to come

PS if you are interested in building your own solar panels I can sell you 1 pound of used but very functional cells for $89.00 plus shipping. This is about 40 cells. You can make a very nice panel with that many cells.

1 comment:

Kraig W said...

Hi, Joe. I don't know about the batteries, but the fluorescent lights don't "like" cold weather for sure. As temps approach 40 degrees or so, you may notice the fluorescent lights don't want to start up. You're actually doing some damage to the ballast in that condition.

Our company sells some warm white LED modules that operate on 12 - 30 volts DC and draw only 0.47 amps each. Light output is equivalent to about 27 candle power (about 30% brighter than a 921 bulb). I've been playing around with a conversion "kit" for 12 volt fluorescent lights that would use 2 or three of these modules. Let me know if you want more info on this project.

Kraig

The web site is www.commandelectronics.com/whiteleds